Friday, September 21, 2007

Wine Caves


Dan and I took a trip to Napa and Sonoma this summer. It was an incredible experience to say the least. We spent about four days touring around different vineyards and learning about wines. As a result, I've become a wine snob. A good thing for my mouth, but not so much for my checkbook.

One of the new things we found while on our trip was a wine cave. We only visited one, Del Dotto, but it was an experience I will never forget. We walked into this long hollowed out cave that was very dank and wet. I almost expected to see someone from The Phantom of the Opera jump out from behind the barrels of wine.

Our tour included tasting about 11 different wines. Our guide would stop us at a barrel, explain a bit about the wine we would be tasting, pull some wine straight from the barrel and dump it in our glasses. Definitely the best tour we got out of the whole trip. Near the end we tried a port. I was skeptical. I've never been a big fan of port, but after tasting it I decided that was just because I had never had good port. What an amazing taste. We even bought a bottle of Zinfandel Syrah Port. See there it is again! Try new things! It will usually turn out to be good!

No comments: