Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Singapore



In March my husband and I took a trip to Southeast Asia. We started in Singapore, from there drove to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and then took a flight to Bangkok, Thailand. Unfortunately in Singapore I didn't get a chance to take any good pictures of food. I certainly tasted some interesting things though. The strangest thing I ate on this leg of the trip was Barbecued Stingray. The second night we were in Singapore we went with some friends at about 1:00 in the morning to a place called Newton Circus, a hawker center. Dozens of picnic tables were set up outside with lights strung overhead. Several hawker stands surrounded the tables, each selling different things. We sat at a table and several hawkers came up trying to sell us food from their stalls. We settled on one, picked some dishes from the picture menu, got some Tiger Beer and sat in the sweltering heat while our food was prepared. We ended up with the Stingray, some Chili Crabs, Choy Sum (a spinach like vegetable doused in thick brown sauce) and several other things I don't remember. The Stingray was surprising. I expected it to be tough and chewy like octopus or shark, but it was much more like fish (maybe Orange Roughy) very tender and tasty. Quite an experience.

No comments: