Sunday, October 10, 2010

Spanish Food Markets


 After France, my friends and I traveled through Spain for about a week. I'd been amazed by the French Food Markets, but they did little to prepare me for what I found in Spain. I can understand now why many of the food magazines and foodies are saying that Spain is the new food capital of the world. I had some of the best food of my life on our trip through Spain and I would recommend it to anyone.


Our first stop was in Barcelona where we visited a large indoor daily market. I can't even imagine what I might do if this market was near home for me. I would certainly gain weight. Not only do the vendors in this market sell raw ingredients, but you can sit down and have a glass of wine or some tapas if you're in the mood. What could be better while you're shopping for your day's groceries?

A few more fantastic pictures from the market. Warning: some sad-ish pictures of little piggies ahead.

10 comments:

Robin said...

Now that's what I'm talking about! I was taken to Spain as a child for an extended stay and have known without a trace of doubt since then that it is indeed the food capital of the world. For flare and invention, Italy or France, but for flavour and quality and pure love, Spain!

Monet said...

My husband and I went to Spain for our honeymoon last year, and we too were amazed at the beautiful markets. The first photo you shared with us was just stunning! I wanted to transport myself to that market immediately! If only we could travel that easily. Thank you for sharing!

Island Vittles said...

The poor little piggy...what a wonderful journey you had! Theresa

Nova Walsh said...

@Robin - I absolutely agree with you. The food is outstanding and I've never had anything like it. I'm craving it already! The sausages, the oysters, the tapas!

@Monet - Thanks for your comment! What a great place for a honeymoon! Glad you enjoyed the pictures

@Island Vittles - I know, I felt bad for the little pig too, but he was very cute and quite peaceful so I had to share the picture. He almost looked alive. It really was a great journey - I'll be posting more soon!

Carolyn said...

I think I might need to move to Spain! Although the pig in the baseball hat was a tad creepy!
You asked abour erythritol on my blog...I buy it online. You can get it at Whole Foods (the brands are usually Zsweet or Wholesome Sweeteners) but it's a lot more expensive.

Unknown said...

I remember checking out the Barcelona market a few years ago. The friend that came along with me refused to go in again because she couldn't stand all the dead pigs and lambs. Not helpful for her that going out there was a lamb dressed in a chef's hat & apron. :P

Beautiful photos! And gorgeous website!
dancingspatulawand.blogspot.com

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I have never been to Spain, but the markets in France are to die for, I can't imagine anything being better....wow, but I do love your pictures, thanks so much for taking us along with you!

FabiolousCookingDay said...

yes - great markets

Noelle Dineen said...

I've also spent my one month vacation there in Spain and I've tasted a lot of delicious meals that made me gain a little weight. But that's okay, as long as I regularly eat clean diet foods and do some exercises for at least four times a week.

Unknown said...

Where is located