Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Unexpected Feast

When my husband and I started dating 10 years ago, we both hated seafood.  I was worse than he was - I wouldn't even think about eating shrimp or crab, not to mention the horror of all horrors - sushi (which he loved).  But with my ever-increasing love of food I've done a complete 180 and now enjoy everything from the sea.  It's taken my husband a little bit longer, but he's come a long way.

We may not be able to have fish for dinner, but mussels are now on the menu!  Definitely an unexpected feast.


I love Mussels in Wine this time of year.  It's a nice transition from winter to summer; a beautiful warming broth reminiscent of cold weather and clouds and fresh seafood and ripe tomatoes hinting at hotter months to come.  Served with sourdough toast and a glass of the same wine it was cooked in it's the perfect light meal for a spring evening.




Mussels in White Wine

1 lb. frozen precooked mussels (or use fresh - just adjust cook time)
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 medium shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay is a favorite in our house)
handful of Italian parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

Saute shallot and tomatoes in olive oil over medium heat 1-2 minutes, then add mussels, garlic, and white wine.  Cover and simmer about 5 minutes to heat the mussels.  Remove lid and let juices condense, cooking about 10 more minutes.  Serve with sourdough bread or french baguette to sop up juices.  Serves 2

1 comment:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

mussels are wonderful!! I think its time to move on to clams, I have a very easy recipe on my page for linguine with clams...I'm not a big seafood eater either but these are on the menu at home qute frequently..
I enjoyed reading yoru posts!!
Cheers
Dennis