Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Restaurant Review: Posh

 
I went to Posh in Scottsdale AZ with a couple of friends back in early March and had an unforgettable time.  Certainly one of the most unique dining experiences I've encountered.  Also one of the most expensive.  But the meal was so incomparable that the amount of money I had to shell out was worth it.  Of course I won't be able to afford eating there again anytime soon.  I'll just have to rely on wonderful memories of a one-of-a-kind meal.

The most unique aspect of Posh is that they don't have a set menu.  You get a card with some animal ingredients listed - mostly strange and outrageous, including frogs legs, wild boar, sweetbreads, and foie gras (for an extra charge).  You have the option to mark off anything that you don't want to eat.  Then you decide how many courses you want - anywhere from 3 to 11 (or the full tasting menu which I assume was something more than 11).  There is also a space to add in anything you don't like or food allergies.

I embraced the experience wholeheartedly.  I didn't mark off any of the protein possibilities and ended up doing a six course meal with a foie gras course.  It was amazing.  Unfortunately I didn't get to take many pictures because I was so busy being infatuated with the food. We all got different dishes for each course which made the experience even better.  Lots of sharing and tasting.

My meal started with a popcorn soup, which sounded really strange but ended up being fantastic.  Then I had a course of a beautiful whitefish with leeks.  I also had braised venison, fried sweetbreads with a slice of beef aspic (a fantastic first for me!), wild boar bacon, an unforgettable bruleed foie gras with strawberries, and a decadent dessert course.

 Bruleed Foie Gras with Strawberries
 
The foie gras was the most memorable aspect of the meal. It was the first time I'd ever had foie gras and it was a fantastic mix of rich and creamy. It was so creamy and sweet (from the brulee topping and the spun sugar) it could have been mistaken for an ultra-rich crème brulee but for the unmistakable animal fattines. 

The desserts were amazing as well. They tasted exactly like the candy bars they were made to emulate but had so much more depth of flavor and texture that my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

 Trio of desserts - a take on candy bars (Kit Kat, Almond Joy, and Snickers) 

Posh was a once in a lifetime experience and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone up for adventurous eating.  Just take plenty of money.  And take plenty of pictures.  This is the kind of meal that needs to be shared.

No comments: